We love our Mentor Program, and we hope you do too. But that isn’t stopping us from making some changes in response to your answers to our survey this summer. People said that they would like a year-round, rolling program, with more interaction with their mentors, and more flexibility in the materials they submit. So please read the following carefully, because we’ve made a few changes.
- 1. The Mentor Program will open on Feb. 15 and close on May 15. You may submit a manuscript at any time during that period, and your mentor will respond on a rolling basis.
- 2. You will submit your manuscript in two parts.
- a. First, you should submit the first 25 pages of your novel/story. You should also submit your answers to the rubric. Your mentor will respond at their earliest possible convenience, with an evaluation of how well the actual submission fits your answers in the rubric, although they are obviously welcome to respond at greater length.
- b. You will then submit 25 additional pages, as well as a few open-ended questions. The 25 additional pages can be a rewrite of the ones already submitted, or from anywhere else in the novel, including the subsequent 25 pages. Your mentor will then respond with a more extended commentary of at least 250 words.
- 3. Manuscripts and rubric should be submitted as a single Word file with your last name as the file name (Ex. Jones.docx). The Word file should be attached to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the body of the e-mail: your full name, phone number, and e-mail address, and an indication of your subgenre. (Choose from the following – cozy, traditional, hardboiled, thriller, suspense, romantic suspense, noir, police procedural – and use more than one to characterize your work if necessary). Short stories do not require a subgenre.
- 4. Your first submission should also include the attached Application and Release and a $25 entry fee. You should send them by snail mail to:
MWA-NY Mentor Program
675 Academy St., #4D
New York, NY 10034
PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR MANUSCRIPT TO THIS ADDRESS. AND PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT THE APPLICATION AND RELEASE ELECTRONCIALLY